Friday 12 December 2008

Happy Christmas!

Dashing through the snow led me to ask, "What is it all about?" I guess it means many things to different people. What does it mean to you? Is it a constant hassle or a sheer delight; the highlight of the year or a necessary evil?

Me? I think the word I'd choose is Nostalgia. This is the time of year that I remember Christmases past. Yes, we did roast chestnuts on an open fire. As a child, I loved the magic of the season. I can remember being terrified that Father Christmas would miss me out. We had an aunt from Gloucester stay with us every year. My dad and I would walk the short distance to the coach station to meet her on Christmas Eve. I can still picture the coaches pulling in - Black & White, Royal Blue, Greyhound...

It always seemed colder, too. We all wrapped up in heavy coats, scarves, hats and gloves. The River Avon froze over in 1964 and we skated and slid on its icy surface. We made snowmen and had snowball fights. I can remember frozen fingers that couldn't be felt, starting to burn as they thawed out.

Then there was the religious bit. I say bit, but it was quite a lot really. Carol services at school - all singing from The Bethlehem Carol Sheet. Being a choir-boy, there were the church services. My claim to fame was solo singing the first verse of Once in Royal at a candlelit service on Christmas Eve.

Even now, the thought of that Holy Night sends a chill down my spine. Okay, there may not have been cattle lowing in Bethlehem, but there was the Son of God - born in poverty. The Nativity is one of the great scenes in the world's history. Here we are, two-thousand years on, still marvelling at its wonder.

Yes, nostalgia. There was time - so much time back then. Now there always seems to be so much to do. Maybe we should stand still now for a while. Remember back to that first Christmas and take in the peace, wonder and majesty of the occasion.

To all my friends here, of different faiths and no faith - have a lovely time. Eat, drink and be merry - and spare a thought for those who are in need and less fortunate than ourselves.

Happy Christmas!


3 comments:

♥Anna♥ said...

Hallo Moonraker!
Its, me Anna (from the Enid Blyton Society) Just wishing you a Merry Christmas too, And feel free to take a look at my blog too!

Best wishes!
Anna

♥Anna♥ said...

Oh, Btw!
Thankyou for your comment on my blog, and you'll be pleased to know, even though we estimated he would have to stay in hospital for 2/3 days, he came back home from recovery of kidney stone later in the evening! We were all really happy, and I told my dad you sent him best wishes and speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.